Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hobbywing 1s esc

+4
JimboJames1972
Gazza
Tomo
BuddyRC
8 posters

:: 1/12th :: Mardave :: Brushless

Go down

Hobbywing 1s esc Empty Hobbywing 1s esc

Post  BuddyRC Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Why is it a no no for the hoddywing 1s as you dont have to use the turbo? As this is made for 1s lipo then surly it should be allowed?

THE GTB 2 ESC DOES SEEM TO WORK ON A 1S LIPO WITH NO BOOSTER BUT IT SHOULDNT REALY SHOULD IT? if and when you loose signal and all hell breaks loose then what happens then? oh yes got to put a booster on so more money spent.

I have looked on the site for the rules but not found them, so my question is who has the say if i cant use this esc in brushless mardave races? As i think this esc is perfect and has the booster built in and the speck is very good and the price is very very good.

Also if i was to use it and people started moaning "his car is fast" "thats not fair" then who will stop me as the std G2 is by far a p**s take as some of the cars are way to fast and nobody checks them or stops them??????
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Hobbywing 1s esc Empty Re: Hobbywing 1s esc

Post  Tomo Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I or James would be happy to scrutineer mate if I am there and John doesnt mind.

That speedo can have its turbo disabled but then if everyone used it evry single car would need to be then plugged into a laptop or pit card that the scrutineer had to check/prove it was in stock mode, I am sure you see the problem with this..... time and the fact that some people will always try to bend the rules hence the no turbo full stop speedo rule.
TBH this speedo in stock mode would get slammed by the speedos that have been built and therefore optimised to run without turbo.

This is all to get rid of what you dislike so much with the g2's Buddy and its done this way so as to try and stop the his cars faster than mine thing down the straight.

The Gtb2 is prob the best without booster and more will become availble as the USA ROAR specs have now allowed for a non turbo class meaning manufacturers are more likely to make some non turbo versions in their range.
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 am

Most people are now seeing ( thanks to my video ) and learing that 13.5 and 1s is the way to go lets see whos using what that I know of because they have had enough with the G2 and cell syndrome so people already converted and running 13.5

1. yours truly
2. James
3. Daz
4. Neil
5. Matt
6. Graham
7. Micheal
8. Dave

people getting one ASAP

1 Marti

Theres others i have missed but please post
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 am

I have used this speedo in my SuperDave chassis. This was simply because it was a "no" for the standard class so running it in an 'illegal' chassis seemed to generate fewer negative comments...

My thinking is that this unit is just about as good as you can get for cheap 1s LiPo racing - it is priced well (mine was £84 including shipping and no taxes which is less than a good non-1s speedo + voltage booster), is sized small enough to fit the chassis, not too tall for lower CoG and can be setup easilly. Apparently there is a version of the software that has the 'blinky' LED indicator to show that you are running it un-boosted for scrutineering, but I have yet to download it.

I have also tried LRP SXX Stock Spec units and, while these are slightly smaller and lighter, they have all glitched and needed re-binding to my handset and re-setting. They were fine for a few races then would go all nutty for no known reason and wreck that particular race. Que much swearing and bad, bad thoughts! Oh, and second hand cost was more than the Hobbywing... Enough said?

I really hope these units are made legal. How does one go about putting one forward to be considered?

James
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 am

The software can be tweaked to show blinky mode but retain the turbo etc as can the tekin rs and so have been excluded. Not saying that anyone would exploit this it's just better to take temptation away. Also an led can be weird into the case that blinks constantly but without the speedo being in stock mode.

Hope this helps. Most people have gone for the Novak gtb2 which is cheaper than the hobbywing if you search around and is 1s compatible also without the need for a booster.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil crutchlow Sun May 15, 2011 7:37 am

as far as i am aware the hobbywing 1s speedo wont be allowed as it was said any speedo with the setting to allow timing would not be allowed

hense the novak gtb2 which is 1s and will run only stock profile cos there is no way of having on the fly timing

Neil crutchlow

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Sun May 15, 2011 8:09 am

Neil what is fly timing?
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 am

fly timing is adjustable when car hits boost so it could start at say 5 deg and hit boost and be 15 deg

hence on the fly

Standard timing is you set it at say 15 deg and it stays the same through out Ie none adjustable
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Sun May 15, 2011 8:21 am

On the fly timing essentially means any software or device that allows the running profile to be altered whilst the car is moving on track. For example turbo can be used to give a brushless motor good low rev range torque aswell as high rev range torque just for the straights.
Where as timing advance that can be adjusted on the pit bench but not by the speedo whilst the car is in motion results in movin the effective power band up the rev range the greater the degree of advance. With this high rev range power comes at a price of less low down torque to pull you out of the bends so it's a trade off abit like gearing is with the motor heating up the more advance you give it exactly like over gearing a car.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Tommo, Neil,

Thanks for clearing that issue up. I guess any speedo that has the 'temptation' of variable boost etc being programmed in should really be banned. My own, personal thought is that fixing a blinking LED to pull the wool over peoples' eyes is probably a bit far fetched but, like you said, if temptation is there then some idiot will be bound to use it and bugger things up for everyone else! Shame...

How well does the GTB2 work on 1s? Has anyone tried one? It is good to see another speedo that 'officially' lists a 1s lipo input on its spec details! Looking at the pictures it seems relatively low profile too, especially with the thinner heatsink fitted. If I can find me one I might just have to try one...

James
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Mon May 16, 2011 3:21 am

Unfortunatly someone has already been caught "fixing" the blinky mode light hence the mention Sad

Quite afew of the lads on here all now run the gtb2 and have loved them; gaza, neil, marti "dirtyghoust" and buddy rc all have one I believe and can give you abit more feedback on them.

Mardave may well release their own 13.5 system at some point and I am sure it will be 1s compatible also.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

JimboJames1972 wrote:
How well does the GTB2 work on 1s? Has anyone tried one?
James

As per Tomo fit it and run it I cant say about the older ones but my new one ( bought from a shop about 2 months ago) worked with out a booster

Now if you have an old PT you may need a booster but as I have the new HARRY pictured below

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This works on a lower voltage

. Voltage range, 2.8-16v. 1-4 cell Lipo so should be OK as mine works a treat

Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Mon May 16, 2011 5:39 pm

I've got an old GTB spectrum 2.4g and I use a booster in mine of eBay £9 and it works perfect and I've never mist a lap with my pt.
The performance is super and can't fault it realy as when racing brushless I'm like a kid at Christmas bounce bounce

As for the New GTB2 then all I can say is what the tech guys told me and that is the description states a 1-2s supported so it has the booster built in. And seen as all with the GTB2 run them with no booster then it seems to be right.
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  chequered_flag_racing Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 pm

BuddyRC wrote:
I have looked on the site for the rules but not found them,

use the site search function Rolling Eyes

STOCK BRUSHLESS 13.5

Only forward / reverse Brushless ESC’s with NO TURBO or BOOST or on the fly timing advance function from the following list may be used:-

Fusion: - Exceed (Sport, Race, Pro)
Castle Creations: - MambaMaxPro.
LRP:- A.I BrushlessReverse, Ai Brushless Pro Reverse, SPX Brushless Reverse, - SPX Brushless Bullet Reverse.
Nosram: - Evil Reverse, Evil Power Reverse, Matrix Brushless Reverse, Matrix Power Brushless Reverse
Novak: - GTB (GTB 4 Cell, GTB, GTB Spectrum) GTB2, Havoc 1 Cell, Havoc Sport.
Tekin:- R1(sensor less)

Other suitable ESC’s may be added from time to time
Anyone wishing to use an esc not on the above list should submit said esc to the committee for checking and inclusion into the rules
NOTE: - Please make your own checks on compatibility with regards to reverse function and 1s lipo use.
Brushless motors to have a minimum of 13.5 turns and a maximum UK rrp of £75.00
chequered_flag_racing
chequered_flag_racing

http://www.rccarclub.co.uk/trcc/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am

hi all is this the One your talking about?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

http://www.westsuffolkmcc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 am

Yep thats the one I run cant fault it
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtyghost Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Yup same as............. i ran brushed for years now have gone over to brushless with the GTB2 and i cant fault it, i wish i'd of done it years ago Very Happy Very Happy
dirtyghost
dirtyghost

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Me to bud. Brushless rocks bounce bounce
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content