Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 and GT10 AGM

4 posters

:: 1/10th :: F1

Go down

F1 and GT10 AGM Empty F1 and GT10 AGM

Post  dazzler Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:14 am

Just a few highlights from the AGM today. The full details will be in the Minutes and new Rules to be issued in the next couple of weeks. Thank you to the select band who attended, and for the efforts of everyone who took the time to submit proposals.

Headline news is that we had a good first season, and we are going to do it again next year. The plan is for four events next year, dates and venues permitting. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get this year's events up and running.

GT10 - nothing much wrong with the class, so focus was on the equivalence of 1S/10.5 to 2S/17.5. There's been a lot of development in both variations on our GT10 theme, with the result that the 17.5 cars have developed an edge over the 10.5 cars, especially at the bigger or more open tracks. Since we do not want to drive people towards one car or the other, it was decided to regulate this using the weight limit. A new minimum weight limit for 2S cars is now 1150g, and the Committee has the ability to vary that limit with 14 days notice in order to maintain an equivalence at all times.

F1 - a great first season with a lot of learning points. I'll summarise...

Motors - it's now 21.5BL with open speedos, or a Mardave G2 BR motor.
Dimensions - it's now max width 210mm for the Retro class, and 190mm for the 'modern' class (see below for classes). This brings us into line with the US Rules, and allows for the reality of the situation rather than the manufacturer's numbers.
Chassis must now be within the bodyshell. We can't have exposed edges of stiff chassis so this brings F1 into line with GT10 and 12th.
Classes - F1 Retro for foam tyres with max width of 210 mm and F1 Modern for rubber tyres with max width of 190mm. We have seen some of the HPI cars run really well with soft tyres so it looks like this class may have more runners now the motor has been toned down to 21.5 from 17.5. The other limitation is that wheels and tyres allowed must be designed and sold for these F1 cars - so no TC wheels and tyres!!

These classes are not big enough to warrrant their own Committees, so it was agreed that two people who race the classes would represent their interests on the 12th Committee. Darran Newton agreed to represent F1, and Jason Butterfield will represent GT10. Which other classes have their reigning National Champs as their Reps, eh?!!

Please ask questions here if you want to, and please resist the urge to be wise after the event with your suggestions as to why this might or might not work! As last year, the Committee remains committed to creating and maintaining classes that are fun to race first, and nailed to a Rulebook second.

Thanks to all who have supported the series in 2011 - onwards to 2012!!

Peter Winton
Acting Secretary for this meeting only - come back MarkS, all is forgiven!!

dazzler

Back to top Go down

F1 and GT10 AGM Empty Re: F1 and GT10 AGM

Post  markb Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Those close to me will know why I didn't attend the AGM...despite my passion to get these two classes moving in the right direction.

Sensible decisions. Top choices for GT and F1 reps: you are the man officially now then Daz Wink

Looking forward to the rest of the Ardent winter pan series, and more F1 and GT racing next year. Not long before Snowbirds classes get announced too bounce

Interesting that the UF1 series in the states has moved to one F1 class, and a more open Tamiya LeMans GT class. Not convinced that's the right way to go, but impressed with what those guys do so will watch with interest.

Hurrah cheers
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Hey Mark

Not sure what i am allowed to talk about until the rules are written up but here goes:

Well i think the two classes are defo going in the right direction, although i wasnt sure at first about the 1/12th "lot" running the classes to start with as the year unfolded it turns out they are EXACTLY the right guys for us.

I was disapointed on the day that we had a lack of support for both classes, after the moaning that had been done all year i some how kinda expected more people to be there, however with there being a much smaller group it actually made for a much better debate and chats.

GT10 first, the weight penalty for the 17.5/2s is the right way, i was most impressed to see strong evidence brought to the AGM to help support/decide what the limit should be, it was then also said that really without actual R&D there is only so much you can do with % and paper, so it was set at the "maths" amount with the option to change it incase it is wrong (in either direction)

F1.. We did all the R&D over motors, although i was the only person to propose this (i thought some of the other runners may have put a banker proposal in) it went through with no real problems or explanation. So it is NOW offically 21.5 brushless or Mardave G2 brushed

There has been some changes to the width allowed 210mm to the now foam only class, this was simply a round up as with tyre spread etc my 109 at times was around 207-8mm, this really is to make sure all cars can comply easily.

Now a dedicated rubber class set at 190mm, this is to fall inline with else where in the world and to allow the WRC and other chassis to run in either class.

There has been a rule taken out and another added in, bassically to fit some of the other shells on the wider chassis of the 109 etc, would leave the chassis exposed (i have seen this on the track this year). The chassis now must be inside and you are allowed to modify the chassis to do this.

I put 8 (yes Cool proposals in that were seconded ofcourse, 1 wasnt needed, so it was withdrawn (sep mention for "open" timing) the other 7 were passed, i was asked to explain the reasoning behind each one, which i deeply enjoyed and it also showed that the 1/12th comittee are strongly interested in moving this class forward, and dont just take anything on face value.

I also think there will be a dedicated rule that will state that only wheels and tyres designed for F1 cars can be run to rule out turning car stuff getting bolted on.

Also the event could be 4 meetings next year with 3 to count, more info when the venues are confirmed!

Oh and before i forget we get NEW CLASS NAMES!!!!!! The idea with this is EQUAL kudos for both classes, not a beginer and advanced type

F1 Retro (Foam) & F1 Modern (Rubber).

I am unsure what my role will involve yet, but it is assured that i will be able to relay the thoughts of the F1 gang to the comittee to keep our class what we want... In my eyes thats the biggest result, as always i will be about to help others (or if i am haing a bad day please come and help me lol) and i am massivley looking forward to continuing to race F1

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner 50 Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:03 am

Reading through the report , i did'nt see any think mentioned about the F1 weights. any new's ?

looking good for the up coming new year in the glorious F1 class
nick turner 50
nick turner 50

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 am

same unchanged at 1050

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:52 am

F1 = awesome Very Happy
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am

Tomo wrote:F1 = awesome Very Happy

Darned right Cool

My poor F109 has been on the shelf and needs some time spent on it this weekend. Electrics need to be refitted from the 12th car (which wasn't in the plan...but I won't go there). And hopefully the final part for my new brighter colour scheme is waiting for me at home...masking and spraying to be done Very Happy

Some you will know I'm a bit OCD about getting the driver body and helmet right. The Rossi helment for my F109 came out expecially well. The next one is easier as I have stickers for it...which in an odd way is less fun as I enjoy the challenge of paint/stickers from scratch.

Enough about that...

Count down the weekends until Ardent pan series round 2!

Bring. It. On. bounce

markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 am

Yeah I need to sort a new paint scheme out also.... Hmmmm time to have a look back over the years to find something bright Smile
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 am

Tomo wrote:Yeah I need to sort a new paint scheme out also.... Hmmmm time to have a look back over the years to find something bright Smile

So I considered...

...the light blue Leyton House March
...Camel yellow Lotus, with Senna driving natch cheers
...Martini with the classic stripes (red would be "right" for F1, white brighter, and I've seen a chrome/silver version in UF1 that looked good)
...the Mclaren orange West car used in testing

I'm sure that wasn't all I found scratch

So I'll be back lol!
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I had considered the leyton house car as I love the shape of the shell also and the martini lotus which they did in an odd green but the white would be much better like you say.
I had even considered doing a gulf style mclaren shell.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm

I have just bought 2 classic tamiyas, one is burger colors and one mansel williams, will use them for now till i decide

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:33 pm

My mansell shell is a shelf queen, just couldn't bring myself to race it Smile
Have some Damon hill Williams and Schumacher beneton shells all sprayed up but I have never liked the high nose.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:03 am

Tomo wrote:I had considered the leyton house car as I love the shape of the shell also and the martini lotus which they did in an odd green but the white would be much better like you say.
I had even considered doing a gulf style mclaren shell.

Hmmm...that dark "champagne bottle" green colour Lotus Martini was stunning, as I saw one at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. I think there was also a dark blue one raced another year. Both good looking with Eseex stickers and chrome...no good as a bright shell Sad

White like a Martini Porsche or Lancia would work really well. I have the stickers for it too...with spares if you're looking for some Cool

Well...Jason has ownership of Gulf colours and blue colour schemes in the Doris pits. Although an imaginary Aston F1 car in their GT colour scheme would work well.

I've posted elsewhere about some mock ups I saw of classic F1 colour schemes on modern cars. The red, gold and white Gold Leaf Lotus scheme could work.

Got mine sorted so better stop looking for more...Wink
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:14 am

dazzler wrote:I have just bought 2 classic tamiyas, one is burger colors and one mansel williams, will use them for now till i decide

My classic Tamiya kit has a mint high nosed Bennetton in the blues and white scheme. Mild Seven and Kingfisher decals from Jon Winter. Also a Gerhard Berger. Too good to race, so the car and shell have become a shelf queen Wink

Which Berger shell it is Daz? There were Ferraris, Benettons...

When I first raced F1 the brother our our local model shop owner sprayed a mean bodyshell. And they were as mad on scale paint schemes as I was. We always wanted to do the early Benetton colour scheme - green front, and white with multi colour paint brush strokes on the back. Even he didn't fancy the masking Shocked

Might just be possible with a vinyl cutter and stick backed vinyl. But more time and money that I've got Sad

Had a Mansell Williams on loan for a weekend to win a Eurocup concours. Scale pit screw and the works. I must have been single at the time... :p
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:16 am

New shell update - sorted out how to make the second colour work, and liquid mask applied. Needs cutting back to my lines. And popping out for a specific green colour when I'm back in Norwich.

Depends on Fran's plans for the weekend as to how far I get... :p
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 am

sounds exciting!!

My two classics have arrived today, one will fit with ease, the other not so... will update with pictures later

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 am

Yeah started masking my lotus 79 shell and have finished my martini scheme on a new shell. Will have to post up some pics soon.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:23 am

Interesting proportions Smile was that the mansell Ferrari?
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzler Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 am

berger the advert said, it was offa a genuine old tamiya!

dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am

Classis Ferrari Daz...nice. Looks like a Mansell or Prost helmet on it. Needs a Bergher or better still Jean Alessi and some #27s on it Cool

I'm regretting not taking the Martini option as one colour and I'd be done by now!

However mine has some paint on it now. First colour looks the business. Second is part done, and needs to dry properly during the week. Gets finished off next weekend. Rear wing is sorted, front on it's way bounce

Norfolk theme comes with the driver figure...stickers in the set this time, so just got to get the main colour right.

Electrics will have to be sorted next weekend as well... lol!

markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 pm

yep my Martini is done Smile nice and simple white with decal set........ Happy days lol
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:16 am

In hindsight a white or bright red colour with Martini stickers would have been much easier. And would have been done and on the car by now.

But where is the fun in that Razz

Working away as always so will need to sort this weekend for Ardent Winter pan series Round 2 next weekend. Got some electrics to re-fit as well (about 30 mins work on that tops).

The driver figure is pretty much done and just needs the stickers from the set added. One might need cutting down a bit to fit the smaller F109 helmet size, but the main visor looks the biz and will go straight on.

The front wing has arrived, and needs stickering up...as does the rear wing. No paint required (thankfully) but I may get all OCD and cut carbon decal sheet to replace the black glass stickers. Would look a lot mofe F1 with carbon Cool

The shell itself needs a couple of light coats of colour 2, and a backing white coat. If that goes well we're cutting out and applying the stickers. It will be bright and easier to see than "Lotus Racing" green Wink

Then some finishing touches next weekend before heading to Ardent brutally early on Sunday morning. Bring it on bounce
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down