Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2S LiPo and brushless

+3
JimboJames1972
Gazza
LongRat
7 posters

:: 1/12th :: Mardave :: Brushless

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2S LiPo and brushless - Page 2 Empty Re: 2S LiPo and brushless

Post  darker_ Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:23 am

Hi I`m new on here but thought id put my findings across . I`m responsible for organizing the mardaves at our club. at present we run 2 cell lipo and hpi Saturn motors, i asked the members whether we should fall in line a bit and run 13.5 and 1s lipo ? At which point i was nearly hung! I was told by 99% of the drivers that they would quit running mardve if i did that, we do have one guy running 1s and 13.5 and he says its pathetically slow with no punch to over take anything. I'm
not suggesting for one minute that all mardave classes should run 2s lipo but i do think the circuit cars should.

darker_

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 am

Hi Darker

Yes its not fast by an means its just meant to be on par with a G2 4 cell but then again I have helped out people who have there speedo set up wrong and it runs even slower LOL but hard to say whats wrong with it going slow on a PC better trackside where I can help out if you mate is stuck and needs help then post on here I'll see what I can dojust let me know what ESC motor he has
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  darker_ Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks for that, but he's a sponsored touring car driver and really knows his stuff where escs are concerned. In fact most of our drivers are either current or ex touring drivers. When we had the first one or two mardaves down the club they originally ran stock 4 cell, and unfortunately no one was interested they were just the slow cars. It was only when one of them put a 2s lipo in that interest and popularity boomed at our club. They went from the cars nobody wanted to race to something that was fast and went round the track well when it was set up. A lot of people then went out and bought one.

darker_

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 am

Well if thats what people want looks like 2s then guys
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 pm

For anyone else who might be interested, here is a link to some of the testing I have been doing:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please take the time to read it carefully. I'm sorry that there is so much of it to take in but I wanted to be as complete as possible with the testing. I have been through all the links and they all seem to be working well so please check them out too.

If you're short on time, these are probably the best two to follow:-

The 2s/21.5t car all built up and ready to run. Check the size of the cells and the layout - cells down one side, speedo and receiver down the other, ballast weight dead center for perfect balance...

The famous "The Red Car and The Blue Car Had a Race" video. Red car is 1s, blue car is 2s...

Happy reading / viewing

James

PS - Testing has been going on in earnest since my last post on that site back in Feb. In fact, the last official, back-to-back test session was only last Sunday (11 March 2012). I have not been posting much data over the last few weeks because it is all pretty much identical - 1s is smoother and safer to drive, 2s feels more punchy but there is nothing to split them lap time wise. If anyone is really desperate I will dig out the time sheets and post them.
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi guys some of you will know me some will not.
I would like 2s 21.5 as an option. someone asked me about this donkeys years ago and I said what I thought would be a good 2s motor equivilant to 13.5 1s.
21.5 2s is used quite widely in f1 across the globe and is a great combination as is 13.5 1s tbh.
13.5 1s "unboosted" requires a gearing and speedo set up like nothing else around if you are struggling for speed with 13.5 1s try gearing to around 60mpr for almost all tracks is a good start.
I have also found with the slower 1s cars I have seen it has been down to poor 1s cell maintence usually from the very best tc drivers tbh as they are used to being able to balance a 2s and it has no issues if this is done regularly but a 1s cannot by definition be balanced so the cell gets a sort of memory and doesnt hold full capacity giving you a lower average volt rate through the discharge cycle.
This can sometimes be resolved by discharging the 1s lipo to just above 3v (NO LOWER EVER!!!!) then charging back up to full and discharge down to 3v again then charge as if ready to race. This isnt a full proof fix and soetimes other factors are making the car not perform.

I can definatly say I would go 2s option and agree with most of the stated benifits and think 2s and 1s could be in the same class, the quick drivers will always be quick no matter what combination they use within the guides jimbo has set out.

Weight limits being lowered would be good also because I need shares in a lead mine the rate I am going with my carbon car, especially if I race at ardent. Which allows 13.5 1s boosted??!! in its winter series which I found out last time i raced with my non boosted 13.5 1s alloy car..... dont worry me and Karl managed 1st (me) and 2nd (sorry karl Smile )with our cars so 13.5 1s can be quick but I think on balance for ease of use and longievity 21.5 2s has my vote.
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Tomo wrote:Weight limits being lowered would be good also because I need shares in a lead mine the rate I am going with my carbon car, especially if I race at ardent. Which allows 13.5 1s boosted??!! in its winter series which I found out last time i raced with my non boosted 13.5 1s alloy car

What you mean run boost . . Shocked Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad NO way its a non boost none turbo who the hell said other wise Tomo no wonder people are not racing this is where people are getting confused and if it is I for one will also be packing up
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Gazza have alook at the ardent mardave rules it doesnt say non boosted as people were running boost in our class last winter series round. I didnt have a boostable speedo in my car so Karl being a good sport didnt boost his 1s hobbywing and we had a great race in the first final only for the second leg to be spoilt by a lapped slow car.

These are the mardave ardent rules on the website.
Mardave Brushless
1kg weight limit, 3mm ride height
13.5 brushless motor and speedo
Maximum 1 cell lipo allowed
Bearings allowed all round and rear Diffs are allowed

So if you have an issue I would talk to the rule makers.
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm

No comment Wink
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortiePaul Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm