Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CEFX Griffin 10

3 posters

:: 1/10th :: GT10

Go down

CEFX Griffin 10 Empty CEFX Griffin 10

Post  markb Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am

Yep...I think those surfing a certain US based forum had worked this out Wink

I'm building a CEFX Griffin 10 primarily for the Snowbirds and then to race in the UK. It's a small company of literally Josh Cyrul and his wife Angel, and the car has been super successfull at the 'Birds and IIC this year.

I have raced CEFX cars before. Most famously was the 2006 Worlds in Italy where Josh pitted with the Doris team, and the "World Champion" Dremel was born as Spash turned his Corally into a world beater. One web site reported me as a CEFX team driver Surprised

When I brought back a CEFX 1/12th chassis from Vegas for Russ Giles, I also had a mission from Wim to talk to Josh. Fran went to talk to him and it was only waiting for Snowbirds classes that delayed the order. Josh is the nicest guy and it was an easy choice.

The parcel made it safe and sound to the UK, although I don't know who's box of t-shirts I got. The local depot gave Fran the wrong box and we got the right one last Friday.

I snuck in about an hour to prep the carbon and start the build. One or two asked after those other posts on Sunday, and here is the current state of play:
CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1018

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1019

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1020

Didn't get much done on the build at Ardent...just the side dampers fitted and the servo flipped over.

There are some more bits I need to finish the build. The 12R5/10R5 shock isn't long enough and has the wrong front mount, so a new shock is ordered. I also need a couple of CEFX parts to get the front end how I want it with the R5 front suspension.

markb
markb

Back to top Go down

CEFX Griffin 10 Empty Re: CEFX Griffin 10

Post  Si Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 am

Very nice Mark
Look forward to your review
Need to get that Blog started mate Smile
Si
Si

Back to top Go down

Post  chequered_flag_racing Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm

not seen brass (that's if it is) used in WGT10 before, but plenty of it about in 10th off-road

needs a black diff in it rather than blue
chequered_flag_racing
chequered_flag_racing

http://www.rccarclub.co.uk/trcc/

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

Si wrote:Very nice Mark
Look forward to your review
Need to get that Blog started mate Smile

Thanks Si....parts are on the way bounce

Bit mad at the moment but a blog is something I'd write up when I had a bit more time Wink
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:27 am

chequered_flag_racing wrote:not seen brass (that's if it is) used in WGT10 before, but plenty of it about in 10th off-road

needs a black diff in it rather than blue

It is brass weights. They screw into the chassis, and fit into chassis holes to get the weight as low as possible. Front and rear postions for them to adjust the weight balance.

Probably came from Josh's oval CEFX cars where corner weights are a lot more important.

The Snowbirds shop is pan car heaven and I know I can get black diff and R5 front suspension parts there. So it's blue until Feb... then black Cool
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:04 pm

So I was thinking about the long shock required for the Griffin 10, which inspired me to dig out my photos of Josh's car from the IIC in Vegas. First the shock made more sense as it will need to be seriously extended...and I have some Silva 1/12th shocks that would do for now. A "wanted" add for the HotBodies 12th shock that Josh recommends has brought in three offers overnight....safe to say I'm sorted (and impressed!) Cool

I also spotted for a second time that Josh was running a 12L4 front end (with some of his CEFX parts for the caster). So I found up an old 12L4 front end and checked them with the front end mounts...perfect!

So what had confused me was reference to three front end options. In reality there are two different mount parts...the 12L4 style front end parts that come with the chassis, and an R5 part that I have on order.

So 30 minutes work and parts from my 12th "bin" and I've got a rolling chassis. Working shock (needs a tad more oil!), 12L4 front end fitted with steering links, the very clever motor mount with a 13.5 motor (Snowbirds class), and sorted the side springs. Even got a 1S LiPo in Wink

Needs some electrics fitted, and after a quick comparison to my 10R5 shells will need the new shell painted and fitted as the holes are some way off. However I may yet have a running chassis to take to the EPS meeting...woo hoo cheers bounce
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Plan A worked - race the F1 at the Ardent EPS Round, and get the Griffin 10 ready for a couple of practice runs Cool

The Hotbodies shock arrived safe and sound...thanks to Chris O'D for the shock and Crisis Kerswell for the safe transport (who knew!!). I'd spoken to Jason and Gav about the best way to ell,get it to fit. They recommended a CRC Encore shock shaft with the 4/40 adapter. This would allow the CRC spring holder to fit, which makes changing spring a lot easier.

So some fiddly changing of shock shaft, a quick fill of 35wt oil and we'd got the basic shock build. Then a number of attempts to get the right length to give just the right amount of pod droop. The extension I'd fitted to my old 12L4 Silva concepts shock was too long. I then found an old 12L4 standoff which worked well with the Hotbodies bottom link. Sorted!

I then noticed the front of the shock was catching on the triangular shock bracket. I didn't want to raise the front ball as that would reduce the shock angle. So a reference back to the photo of Josh Cyrul's car I took at Vegas showed I needed a bit of Dremel work to ease out a scoop in the carbon bracket. Job done!

Electrics were fitted...13.5 and an old LRP Sphere for blinky running. A set of tyres were all different sizes so out with the truer and down to the smallest size..just over 51mm! Pleased to report the Griffin 10 can run these small tyres with ease...actually 2mm spacers in the front and a lot more rear ride height adjustment.

My 10R5 bodyshell needed new holes sorted. The rear holes fall in a better position in a Sophia, and the CEXF front bumper is the best I've seen. Two extensions to the foam touch the middle of the bodyshell and the rest is set slightly back. As ever wish bumpers a crash test is the only real way to know.

Out on track after Saturday qualifying. And after a lot of prep the car felt very good straight out. Motor gearing was an educated guess and speed was good until the batter voltage dropped off a bit. Handling was sharp turn in and plenty of mid conrner grip. Very pleased....less work pre Snowbirds now Cool

There were a number of the 12th and some of the GT guys asking if I was going to run the car on the Sunday. EPS schedule meant two quallys and three finals. I decided not to after an hours debugging things on my F1 car which then went a whole lot better Laughing

Photos to be posted one night this week. I do need to sort some tyres to take to Florida for pratice. Get my Gav shell with the right holes, and spray a new shell. Seriously considering running the CEFX in the January Ardent meeting for a real race test. Wink

Oh...best until last. Weighed the car ready to race = 933g Twisted Evil

42 days to Snowbirds practice and we're in an advanced state of readiness bounce
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 am

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1110

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1111

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1112

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1113

CEFX Griffin 10 Img_1114
markb
markb