Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 Rules

5 posters

:: 1/10th :: F1

Go down

F1 Rules Empty F1 Rules

Post  aw186uk Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Help!

I am trying to finish off building my F109, but I'm confused about what motor to put in it, when i look around there are lot of interesting ideas, i was going to put a Mardave Brushless motor in, but i also have a 17.5 brushless on the shelf, but for example stafford (carpet masters) last year only allowed brushed motors.

Are there any universal rules for F1's?? if not why not?? even if the rule is you are allowed any motor (brushed or brushless) with 2s it would be a start.

If there are no rules people will get fed up with having to change the motors to suit the venue, I think that too much confusion will kill the class as it is doing for the Mardave's.

Touring cars are easy, a 13.5 or 10.5 and 2s gets you into 99% of venues, there

I would be looking ar running at Ardent and at the carpet masters at stafford and maybe bedworth, to start with so any input from F1 drivers from those clubs would be very helpful.

Cheers

aw186uk

Back to top Go down

F1 Rules Empty Re: F1 Rules

Post  Tomo Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi mate I race F1 at ardent and where ever i can find a big enough carpet venue. I have used 2s lipo and 13.5 then 10.5 and mardave g2 brushless motor.
I have found that these three are very closely matched and just pick one to suit your driving style. 10.5 is easily quick enough for any track but 13.5 is nicer to drive and would be my recomendation.

I believe most of the f1s in the ardent summer serries favour the 10.5.
If you are near ardent tonight pop in as I will be racing mine getting it ready for the f1 winter series that starts this weekend.
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  4_cell_racer Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 am

TOMO wrote:Hi mate I race F1 at ardent and where ever i can find a big enough carpet venue. I have used 2s lipo and 13.5 then 10.5 and mardave g2 brushless motor.
I have found that these three are very closely matched and just pick one to suit your driving style. 10.5 is easily quick enough for any track but 13.5 is nicer to drive and would be my recomendation.

I believe most of the f1s in the ardent summer serries favour the 10.5.
If you are near ardent tonight pop in as I will be racing mine getting it ready for the f1 winter series that starts this weekend.

Agree run a 13.5...10.5 and 2s lipo is way to much to handle lol...I know Dez Chand runs a Mardave BL system (as used in V12's)

I ONLY ran a 10.5 with 1s Lipo and it was good, but lost out on the straight to others running 13.5 etc.....I think someone ran a 6.5 with 4 cell nimh or 1s lipo Shocked

If you got a 13.5 and 2 s lipo you'll be on the pace, and keep a 10.5 in ya box in case others start running them Wink

I know I'll be running 13.5 and 2s lipo for the winter series @ Ardent
4_cell_racer
4_cell_racer

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 am

Hey Lee all my ardent f1 records were set using the mardave brushless. Dez saw mine go at hinkley and he wasn't using the system so bolted it in. It works a treat but being sensorless it's abit less precise but bang in the money none the less.

I would say 13.5 is quicker for most as the extra power of the 10.5 is abit much for most what with the oversteer characteristics of f1 cars.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  mad-wolfie Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:25 am

TOMO wrote:Hey Lee all my ardent f1 records were set using the mardave brushless. Dez saw mine go at hinkley and he wasn't using the system so bolted it in. It works a treat but being sensorless it's abit less precise but bang in the money none the less.

I would say 13.5 is quicker for most as the extra power of the 10.5 is abit much for most what with the oversteer characteristics of f1 cars.

Lee knows what he's talking about, he just finished 2nd in the Ardent summer series & only missed 1st place on countback Wink

for my F1 i'm running a 9t brushless on 4-cell NiMh's. I tried racing at the local club last night with the F1 car & slotted in a 19t brushed motor & ran it on 4-cell, depite the fact i was bunged in a heat with 10.5 touring cars & they were the drivers heading the current club championship, even so i managed to lap a couple of the tourers, lost the speed on the fast straight but round the twiddly bits i tended to get round them a lot faster
mad-wolfie
mad-wolfie

http://www.stokebikeruns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 am

I'm not questioning Lee I know he's quick and knows his f1's.

Yeah you don't need top speed to do well in f1. Do you find your car leans towards oversteer? Also what car do you have?
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  mad-wolfie Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:27 am

TOMO wrote:I'm not questioning Lee I know he's quick and knows his f1's.

Yeah you don't need top speed to do well in f1. Do you find your car leans towards oversteer? Also what car do you have?

to be perfectly honest i find the car understeers, but i suppose i find it that way because of what i'm used to. I've been driving 12th for a few months now & in comparison a 12th you steer as you get to the corner, with the F1 i find i'm turning in a good car length earlier than the point i would turn in with the 12th. If anything i find i'm driving the F1 like i did the 2wd off-road buggies i had in the late 80's

i've an F1-09, it was in fact originally Lee's 1st F1 car.. he sold it to guy at our local club & i swapped a Corally touring car for it with the guy who bought it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mad-wolfie
mad-wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 am

Very nice am looking forward to seeing all the f1's race again. Suppose everything feels understeery compared with 12th lol
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:34 am

if you find your F1 understeers the way round is to put a stiffer spring on the main damper, kit spring is 13lbs ,try a 16lbs and small amount a tyre addative on the inside of the tyre. it should be direct now
the motor in my F1 is a Powers super lite motor they have reduced torque but higher rpm gear ratio 75/15 for the 13.5 and 82/15 for the 10.5

nick turner

Back to top Go down

Post  mad-wolfie Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:41 am

nick turner wrote: if you find your F1 understeers the way round is to put a stiffer spring on the main damper, kit spring is 13lbs ,try a 16lbs and small amount a tyre addative on the inside of the tyre. it should be direct now
the motor in my F1 is a Powers super lite motor they have reduced torque but higher rpm gear ratio 75/15 for the 13.5 and 82/15 for the 10.5

to be honest Nick, the only spring i have is a kit spring, i used to own a TRF415MSX (which uses the same shock) but my spring kits all went with the car, however i always found with TRF415 shocks a 50wt oil seemed to be the best compromise on a touring car so i'm using that as my base setting. Plus, i ran the car at Crewe on the club track (which is different to the 12th national circuit) which quite frankly offers very little grip & is tight & twisty, so i used a band of additive on the inner edges of the front tyres. I'd be interested to give it a run on Prima (which hopefully i'll be able to have a try of the car on the 12th national circuit) to give it a proper test.

mad-wolfie
mad-wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:36 am

My main damper i run 35wt oil and 2 hole piston, cs high grip full coat on the rears and about 6mm coat on the front inside.

standard rear tyres and 40shore on the front with 5mm reduction on the width and i fly round the track at Ardent or Stafford

nick turner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down