Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P2 Chassis

+3
BuddyRC
markie
Admin
7 posters

:: 1/12th :: Mardave :: V12

Go down

P2 Chassis Empty P2 Chassis

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:37 am

Well seems i was quite near the knuckle with mine and gazza's last chassis but would like some feed back on this as im going to take it to Manchester Tuesday to have some cut out your comments welcome i think i can get these done cheap as chips also my son has agreed to also do them in carbon fibre as well.
dont knock me for trying at least i get off my arse and try!!!!!!
The old chassis can still be orded from Fiber Lyte the GP2 this P2 will be avalible straight from me at cost thats all.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NICE PAN SHAPE

DONE IN CARD FIRST NOW HAVE DRAWINGS AND TEMPLATE

THE PARTS FROM THIS WELL KNOW CAR WILL FIT PERFECT

(Not allowed to say Mardave affraid )

guys any help or suggestions more than welcome time is short but getting first ones done Tuesday looking for 2 good drivers to test this out for me as well

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rccircuitcars.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

P2 Chassis Empty Re: P2 Chassis

Post  markie Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 am

Looking good Paul,and all your own design!! Looking forward to the end product when it goes into full production next week and hey it dont look owt like ourdaves at all!, mmmm
markie
markie

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 am

Cheers Dude think this offers a nice blend of curves pleasing to the eye as well some nice wheel protection as well as side impact im sticking with this one unless Lord Lucan made it first cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 am

Nice work there paul, stunning shape and it will look brill in carbon Very Happy
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:02 am

Cheers buddy thanks for the nice comment mate i knew all along u had good taste
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 am

My pleasure bud, you no me and style being mad on drifting bounce and that P2 makes the mardave get some style mate.
Hope to see you all soon
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:32 am

Yes mate we need you to come back to the old pit table that we all sit on you are always missed we have one yam yam being Lee but we welcome you back to the bossom mate. Yes you are right it does bring a bit of style to the car mate.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BINDY Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:38 am

nice paul looking gooood will make a nice looking car in carbon and will give you a choice of battery position just round off the front with a small arc cant wait for mine
BINDY
BINDY

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks Lee i was going to get these sorted Tuesday but now with the little bits of feed back i keep getting will hold for a week just to make sure i get it all bang on for the guys.
I even think this looks a lot better than the GP2 and the CE edition. wished i had done this first time round.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 pm

this actualy really looks good i actualy like the look of it , how much extra weight does it add?
Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

http://www.westsuffolkmcc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Jaykelvik wrote:this actualy really looks good i actualy like the look of it , how much extra weight does it add?

I dont think its going to add to much weight Jay but will be able to tell you more after our vist to the the company that is going to produce them i to really like the shape as well mate its going to look wicked on the circuit thats for sure should be a nice stable car lets wait and see after our visit to the factory on thursday mate

GRP one will look nice the Carbon one should be the dogs nuts
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Carbon fiber please lol *wishfull thinking* lol
Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:02 am

How much weight will it add....?

Better sit down and get a cuppa ready, here comes some maths again!

Paul, I have had a look at your chassis and tried to estimate some sizes. Looking at the pictures I am estimating that the 'wings' hat you have added on either side are approx 130mm long and come out about 15mm from the basic rectangular shape of the standard chassis? Obviously thet are not true rectangles but I estimate they will fill about 60% of the full rectangualr shape.

This gives us an added area of somewhere around (130 x 15 x 0.6) = 1170 mm^2 per wing, or about 2340mm^2 in total.

Now, I am also guessing that the GRP version will be 2.5mm thick (rather than 2.0mm)? If this is the case then the wings will have a total volume of 5850mm^3 or 5.85cm^3

The best value of specific density for GRP I could find is somewhere around 1.9 g/cm^3. If this is the case then the pair of wings will add around 11g to the chassis weight but this might vary a little depending on the exact type of GRP used.

Remember, this is just the weight added by the wings. A standard Mardave V12 chassis is 272 x 77mm so, if the body part of your new chassis is the same size as this (and looking at the pictures it seems to be there or there abouts) it will have a weight of around 99g if made from the same 2.5mm thick GRP.

So, the total for this new chassis will be around 110g if it is made from 2.5mm GRP. Remember, this is a calculated estimate and does not take into account weight lost through drilling holes, countersinking etc. If someone is REALLY bored they can work that lot out for themselves!

Using similar calculations I have worked out that a 2.5mm carbon chassis will be around 98g in total for this shape (about 12g liter than the GRP version but a LOT stiffer) and a 2.0mm carbon one will be around 79g in total (about 31g lighter than the GRP version and probably a similar stiffness). NOTE - specifid density for carbon fibre is approx 1.7g/cm^3

For camparison, a standard, rectangular Aluminium V12 chassis comes in at 105g - I did not have to calculate that, I put my spare one on my scales!

Simples.

James
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:54 am

James you need a holiday mate lol

Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 am

JimboJames1972 wrote:How much weight will it add....?

Better sit down and get a cuppa ready, here comes some maths again!

Paul, I have had a look at your chassis and tried to estimate some sizes. Looking at the pictures I am estimating that the 'wings' hat you have added on either side are approx 130mm long and come out about 15mm from the basic rectangular shape of the standard chassis? Obviously thet are not true rectangles but I estimate they will fill about 60% of the full rectangualr shape.

This gives us an added area of somewhere around (130 x 15 x 0.6) = 1170 mm^2 per wing, or about 2340mm^2 in total.

Now, I am also guessing that the GRP version will be 2.5mm thick (rather than 2.0mm)? If this is the case then the wings will have a total volume of 5850mm^3 or 5.85cm^3

The best value of specific density for GRP I could find is somewhere around 1.9 g/cm^3. If this is the case then the pair of wings will add around 11g to the chassis weight but this might vary a little depending on the exact type of GRP used.

Remember, this is just the weight added by the wings. A standard Mardave V12 chassis is 272 x 77mm so, if the body part of your new chassis is the same size as this (and looking at the pictures it seems to be there or there abouts) it will have a weight of around 99g if made from the same 2.5mm thick GRP.

So, the total for this new chassis will be around 110g if it is made from 2.5mm GRP. Remember, this is a calculated estimate and does not take into account weight lost through drilling holes, countersinking etc. If someone is REALLY bored they can work that lot out for themselves!

Using similar calculations I have worked out that a 2.5mm carbon chassis will be around 98g in total for this shape (about 12g liter than the GRP version but a LOT stiffer) and a 2.0mm carbon one will be around 79g in total (about 31g lighter than the GRP version and probably a similar stiffness). NOTE - specifid density for carbon fibre is approx 1.7g/cm^3

For camparison, a standard, rectangular Aluminium V12 chassis comes in at 105g - I did not have to calculate that, I put my spare one on my scales!

Simples.

James

Well i must say you do need a holiday or a rest in a ward with padded walls and straight jackets do all the calculations you like mate as the company that is going to laser cut them will know quite a bit more than your off the wall calculations have you a girlfriend to entertain your mind or better still what about getting a little dog take it long walks or even try to mingle with people it will help you loads!!!!!

however i thank you for your calculations and the time you have taken to pin point so much detail i just love it!!!!! and post above yes Carbon edition on the cards as well
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 am

Just a update: well me and gazza been busy boys today been to one supplier got some good insight came away carbon happy boys. spent most of the day chaseing round over the new P2 nice bit more flow from the original drooling arranged the laser cutting plus lots more camber adjustment done front bumper done but sorry guys thats about as much of the chassis can tell you at the moment until the real one's are ready
May knock up a mock chassis with all the parts on over the week end when i have spoken to gazza but this does look realy brill you guys will be the first to see it dont worry!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Admin / Paul,

Mingling with others - sorted.

Dog walking - sorted.

Girlfriend - well and truly sorted ;-)

Not so sure what was so "off the wall" about these calculations though? The guy asked a question and I tried to answer in the best way I could. But I'm glad you found them useful. If your design does not change too much I'd be very interested to see how acurate I was.

J
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:56 pm

knock knock . . Penny . . knock knock . . Penny . . knock knock. . Penny

. . . . . . . . . . . . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. . . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:08 am

you removed my post tut tut
Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:11 am

Say what . . . try looking on the previous page scratch study
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  BuddyRC Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:42 pm

'knock' 'knock' Shelden........'knock' 'knock' Shelden........'knock' 'knock' Shelden........

PMSL so funny lol!
BuddyRC
BuddyRC

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:07 am

Big bang theory . . . Mega
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:30 am

Ok, Ok. Anyone for a game of 3-man chess? 3D noughts and crosses...?

Embrace the mathematics boys and girls, it's there to help you. Let it be your friend :-)

j
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 am

Is the string Theory LOL
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content