Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea

+4
Churkybird
markb
Gazza
sheepdog
8 posters

:: 1/10th :: GT10

Go down

An Idea Empty An Idea

Post  sheepdog Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 am

After enjoying a days racing a few of us were chatting about a little twist to the Worlds GT10 class, although the class is still kind of in its infancy there is always room to have a bit of fun, not to replace the current concept just to possibly break from the norm every now and then.
Hpi currently have an awesome selection of old school american muscle car bodyshells as do a few other suppliers.

Ford Mustang
Corvette Stingray
Ford GT
Camero
Plymouth Cuda
to mention a few,

Authentic paint jobs, a bit of class, As all the shells will suffer with only having mild down force it makes it a bit more self competitive as well as keeping the field level.
Consider reverse grids so the winners gotta earn they're strips!!

Any thoughts?

sheepdog

Back to top Go down

An Idea Empty Re: An Idea

Post  Gazza Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:34 am

cant see a problem there as long as the car is 1s 10.5 0r 2s 17.5

Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Yes there are some stunning US muscle car 200mm shells available. The downforce wouldn't be great, but a GT10 car has plenty of mechanical grip. And painted up in period colour schemes these shells are the business.

It is an interesting idea to use these for a more fun class where winning is less important than having fun. And is similar to the VTA class in the US which use these shells for what I think it a Touring Car class.

For now it doesn't need overkill with rules. Get a few like minded people to commit to trying this out at a meeting and see where it goes from there. A heat full would do it...say 8-10?

I will tour a few shell sites later and work out a personal favourite. So much choice...
markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  Churkybird Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:45 am

Sounds good to me.
Churkybird
Churkybird

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:09 am

A Plymouth superbird in Richard petty colours would be my choice or a 66 replica of the lemans gt40's Smile
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  markb Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 am

The HPI Dodge Challenger, the 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda and the 1968 Chevrloet Camaro all look the business. Would be fun to research the period colour scheme...mostly a single and very bright colour I suspect.

Oddly not keen on the Mustang shells, which is a shame as red with white Shelby stripes would be properly scale (and my racing colours of course!). An "Eleanor" Mustang coupe would be interesting (gun metal with black Shelby stripes). Or the course Bullit dark green.

These shells might look a bit odd with Jaco or CRC/BSR wheels. It really needs something more period...the US Vintage guys run HPI realistic wheels, and this might need an oval or NASCAR wheel to look right Twisted Evil

Makes me wonder if a US Vintage class touring car would be a fun winter project. I have a few rolling chassis that would be ideal for it, and I like the idea of a less speed/more scale class Cool

Of course a one off GT meeting for these shells would also be fun cheers

markb
markb

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepdog Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated, gonna get some plans down to get a meeting arranged with a view to a little series over the winter Very Happy
anymore ideas please feel free!!

sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:30 am

Sheepy if you need a venue for the class bare DDMCR in mind as we are only down the road from you and other large tracks get enough publicity as it is Smile
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:38 am

maybe Tomo the other large track does get publicity but you have to admitt its large and it can cope with most things and there is not a set time to pack away. This is not a dig but a fact but do feel free to host phills event by all means cus any racing is good racing.
Most people who have gone to ardent have come to see that you have pit tables shop and a full english or the odd bacon cob these are the things that draw racers. Again i hope that
DDMCR remain to grow and get bigger but on saying that look at the results of Bedworth probaly one of the best tracks in the country 17 racers Sunday 14 for this wed nite
RCCC Sunday 25. Im looking at doing a 3 round event that will include 2 indoor 1 at ardent 1 at another indoor club and a on road (Tarmac ) for round 3 so do please speak to me if you fancy hosting round 2.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rccircuitcars.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:43 am

Yeah Ardent does have it all and I remember singing its praises to you when you werent that impressed after your first visit to ardent and now you love it Smile

DDMCR is the same track size as Ardent but lacks perminant pitting and actually could have access to a full resturant next door if it was a daytime race meeting and I am sure we could come up with a great layout and a great race day for everyone if we had a chance to host.
We have raced GT10's there even before the class was official and support mainly mardaves and GT but would love some more tc guys to come down aswell and use the facility.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 am

No matter what track you use Ardent / ddmcr etc you will HAVE to have it on a week end as no one can finish work and get to a club from a distance set it up and pack it up in in one night if you cant then it will after be at places like Ardent
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 am

Yeah hence me saying daytime. As in we could run a meet all day Saturday or a Sunday if needed.

Last edited by Tomo on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepdog Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Tomo, DDMCR is a quality track but like Gazza said its a mid week event and was looking for a weekend venue, plus i am catering it a little bit round me as i work nights, a little selfish i guess but no fun for me otherwise, its unfortunate that the college wants to keep charging you guys so much, pity they cant see that some income is better than no income, greedy really which is a proper bummer for the club.
As for using Ardent im yet to speak to John to see if we can use his facility Very Happy

sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Maybe tomo things may change very soon mate you need to speak to me as im about to arrange another series being 2 at ardent 2 at another indoor club and possibly 2 at your finishing with a final on road im talking with them now. so if you wana get in the loop at base stage please do pm me and i will run the details past you as well.
same as gazza pm me as well. this series is going to be well thought out from the word go and like gazza says will be run on a sat or a sunday more to come just plugging away at getting the locations fixed
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rccircuitcars.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Possable me but I read it as

" could have access to a full resturant next door if it was a daytime race meeting "

No mention of a week end meet Laughing

But you see how confused I get Razz

So whats there view on a week end meet Tomo and resturant being open

Will we need to bring Tables and chairs etc
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Paul you off on one again PMSL

dont forget people have to travel and the Price of petrol is keeping most away now. . .

So see whos up for it and the locations first this will save a lot of running about
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  rich67 Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Admin wrote:maybe Tomo the other large track does get publicity but you have to admitt its large and it can cope with most things and there is not a set time to pack away. This is not a dig but a fact but do feel free to host phills event by all means cus any racing is good racing.
Most people who have gone to ardent have come to see that you have pit tables shop and a full english or the odd bacon cob these are the things that draw racers. Again i hope that
DDMCR remain to grow and get bigger but on saying that look at the results of Bedworth probaly one of the best tracks in the country 17 racers Sunday 14 for this wed nite
RCCC Sunday 25. Im looking at doing a 3 round event that will include 2 indoor 1 at ardent 1 at another indoor club and a on road (Tarmac ) for round 3 so do please speak to me if you fancy hosting round 2.

This I feel is why local clubs struggle with numbers as there are too many championship meets. Also summer time is holiday time so a lot of clubs struggle for numbers and some even close over the summer to save running at a loss.
rich67
rich67

Back to top Go down

Post  furball-racing Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

also unless your doing buggies or micros, winter is the best times as most national series are held during the summer, i mean for example my season starts in october till feb with ardent winter series and the summer is going to be taken up by the spc-uk championship
furball-racing
furball-racing

http://www.furball-racing.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down