Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brca f1 series

+5
neil78
Tomo
nick turner
Gazza
boultspeed
9 posters

:: 1/10th :: F1

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

brca f1 series Empty brca f1 series

Post  boultspeed Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 am

anyone seen the rules for this event ?

f109 cant run in gp1 due to its dimensions Sad

thats me not bothering with it , can only race in gp1 with silvercan and cant be bothered with that
boultspeed
boultspeed

Back to top Go down

brca f1 series Empty Re: brca f1 series

Post  Gazza Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am

boultspeed wrote:anyone seen the rules for this event ?

are you asking or telling us ?

•Width: 200mm
•Height: 110mm
•Wheelbase: 270mm

so why not run it in the GP2 class scratch study

Edit just found this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and the motor list

Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 am

I hope to be racing in the gp2 at ardent, should be good day out

Last edited by nick turner on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

nick turner

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 am

I will race in the gp1 and gp2 class.
Great set of rules gets rid of the pan car type f1 cars and brings the speed to a sensible point.
Tomo
Tomo

http://Www.oople.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:13 am

Oh no you mean the Corally F1 cant run in it ?
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 am

The corally is effectivly not allowed to run by the tyre rules unless the corally was converted to run the tamiya style f103 wheels and tyres that the f109 also uses it is not allowed.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  boultspeed Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 pm

I cant be bothered with silvercan after just buying new brushless for my f109

Ardent round clashes with Bedworth round of brca clubmans tc anyway

cant see the point in the gp 1 class effectively been 1 make 1 model racing (tamiya 104)

there are 3 of us would have raced but we all got brushless f109's so now wont be there

boultspeed
boultspeed

Back to top Go down

Post  neil78 Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

I agree have just moved to brushless with my F1 and really enjoy racing it, as u don't get the issues related with brushed motors.
As i have an F109 that rules me out also.
Think with the way brushless has developed and most people run it that there could have been a brushless motor for the Gp2 class.
I ran the mardave motor for some races last year the racing was very close which is a good thing but the motors don't last that long when running on 2 cell lipo, a sensible brushless motor is hassle free racing perfect for the beginner and attracting new racers into the sport.
neil78
neil78

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 pm

ahh yes see your point they have made a mistake on that thats for deffo. . .

there saying only brushed for GP2 thats got to be wrong will e-mail Chris H

Edit . . .

Have sent chris an e-mail as thats deffo wrong waiting for a reply

To: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Subject: New F1 3 rounds rules

Hi Chris

I think some one should look at the rules for F1

GP2 Class

2.2 wheel base max 285mm width 205mm

GP1 Class

2.6 wheel base max 285mm width 180mm

3 Power

GP2 class Mardave Brushed motor only . . .

Right that now puts the 3Racing F109 into a class only for Brushed motors . . . thats deffo wrong

We want it to be drivers choice No matter what car you have you can run F1 stox or F2 Brushless

Thanks Gary

Last edited by Gazza on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Looks like a mistake so hang 5 all reply from Chris H

Hi,

I’ve forwarded you comments onto the chaps that formed them.

Cheers.

Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 pm

ok that was quick
still a little bit need clearing up but here it is

GP2 class - Mardave G2 brushed motor only (gp1 you mean?) edited by TOMO Edit by Gazza no GP2
GP2 class - any motor from the same design approved on any BRCA EB 'spec' list with a minimum wind of 17.5 turns

Any way its here to read item 3 top of page 3

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Gazza on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm

They still havent got it right on the page.
Now there is no motor rules for gp1????

As I guess it will be Gp1 (scale type cars f104 and f10) g2 silvercan
Gp2 (f109, f103, kawada dark chocolate chassis etc) 17.5
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 am

can i bolt on the f104 front end to the f109 ? and then cut off 10mm of the outside of the rear wheel and tyre that should be 180mm wide.
the f109 should quali fo the gp1 class
what do you think ?

nick turner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Stiles Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 am

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in to say hi and thank you all for your support thus far. As has been mentioned, there is now a dedicated forum for F1 on brca.org, and its on there that you'll find all of the info relating to the series.

Feel free to email me (12cpro@brca.org) or post in the BRCA forum if you have any questions or queries.

With regard to the rules;

Hear what you're saying, but there are arguments in favour as well as against the rules that have been settled on. We wanted the series to be a great way for youngsters and novices to get involved with RC racing with limited setup cost. Part of this includes the requirement for scale realism; the modern, narrower cars have this more so than the F103/F109 models, which are more similar to F1 cars of 20-25 years ago.

There is a valid reasoning behind the brushless argument made above from a maintenance and hassle point of view, but what is more attractive to a complete novice who is looking to start out with a limited bdget; a £10 silvercan motor, or a £70 brushless one? As soon as brushless is allowed in the guise that most people would want it, the startup cost doubles straight away.

We have separated the cars so the modern ones have their own class. Since they are narrower and have less rubber, we would have thought they present a bigger challenge to drivers, and so giving them more power places a greater emphasis on the driver and set-up skill. Effectively, our rules allow any car into the GP2 (G2 motor) class which makes them easier to drive. Any driver with any car can enter GP2. Only the modern, narrow cars can enter GP1, and then they are allowed (but don't have to use) more power. Our rules don't prevent a driver using a BL motor with more than 17.5 turns, as we have allowed any design already homologated in any Spec class list to be used. If GM make a 19.5BL inside a 17.5 homologated 'can', it can be used.

We think we've done the right thing. As it sits, more people who have commented to us are happy with what we've done and want clarification, and less think we're wrong and might not enter.

This is very much chicken & egg currently, so things will get tried and adjusted once run - but it's only by having a stab at getting this started that it's ever going to get off the ground and running.

There's far too many folk talking about things instead of actually doing them, so the committee has decided to bite the bullet take a well informed stab at a set of rules and go for it. Once it's up and running fine tunning can take place, and we can then change things post season (when everybody can have an input too) so it's as near as perfect can be for next time.

We need your support in helping to promote the series, so make sure you mention it to everyone you know that might be interested - current racers or not!

We look forward to seeing you all at Ardent in May!

Mark Stiles
(BRCA 1/12th Scale, GT10 & F1 Public Relations Officer)

Mark Stiles

http://www.apexmodels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the insight mark
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Stiles Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 am

I have updated the F1 rules - there was a typo with the motor rules as someone highlighted.

Regarding the classes and the series as a whole; please try to understand that the whole thing has been conceived with the absolute novice in mind. The primary objective was to enable somebody to buy any F1 car, fit a £10 motor and come and race it. We believe we have achieved that and we have also done our best to include those of you who have already got £200 worth of brushless gear and want to race, without it becoming a free for all with a mix of old and new car types, scratchbuilt monsters and cut down pro-10's.

The whole problem with model car racing at the moemnt is that the setup costs are too high for the newbie - we are trying to address that with this series. If we had written the rules to solely encompass what you guys run then we might have got 10-20 entries from people who already race anyway. What problem does that solve? We are after new blood here and we want and need you guys to understand and support that by participating... cheers

Mark Stiles

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 pm

still the same scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Stiles Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:49 pm

You have to wait for the cache to be updated on the website, which usually takes around an hour or two. Try it again now and it should be ok...

Mark Stiles

Back to top Go down

Post  gazag Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 pm

ok im very confused at the moment Crying or Very sad

so can someone tell me in a short bullet point list what i can run in either GP1 or GP2?
gazag
gazag

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Stiles Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:20 am

gazag wrote:ok im very confused at the moment Crying or Very sad

so can someone tell me in a short bullet point list what i can run in either GP1 or GP2?

GP1 - cars fitting the dimensional rules, which as far as I'm aware are the Tamiya F104 and HPI F10, plus any other 'narrow' type cars we are not specifically aware of. Minimum 17.5 turn brushless motor (so a 21.5 is also fine). You can also run 27t stock motors if you wish.

GP2 - basaically any 1/10th scale F1 car (F102, F103, F109, F104, F1, Exotek etc...) and a Mardave G2 silvercan motor.

Tyres are open in both classes; foams, rubbers and tamiya caps are all allowed.

2S lipo or 7.4V ni-mh/ni-cd batteries in both classes.

Mark Stiles

Back to top Go down

Post  gazag Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:11 am

thanks thats pretty awsome, i knew i got the hpi F10 for a reason LOL
gazag
gazag

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Well I am happy there are the two classes as now my f104 exotec can come off it's shelf and race in gp1. It is a Shame the gp2 class doesn't have a brushless option as we tried the g2s before and most geared them too high to get the speed and the 7.4v killed them quick. Generally with the g2 circuit mardave guys aka stock champ nick Cooper he goes through quite afew motors as they lose their edge after afew races and that's on a lighter car with less volts.

Maybe a 21.5 or 17.5 with limited to non turbo/boost speedos would've been better to keep speeds and running costs down over a longer period of time. For example the speed passion 2500kv f1 motor cost me £14 posted so £8.95 for a g2 each meeting to be on the safe side is going to be more over a season with club racing/testing too.
Just a thought. Obviously too late for this season but until recently I didn't even know there wad going to be a national series but I am thrilled there is Smile
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  nick turner Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 am

Had a quick test run with a G2 motor in the F109 after the Ardent meet , have to report that my f1 was very slow compared to what I'm used to.
With track conditions being high grip the handling was poor , it felt like there was not enough speed to over come the grip .
It would like hook in on the corners , therefore inconsistent
l agree with Tomo that there should be a brushless option for the G2 class. I don't see time is a issue to modify the rules for the first meet is not till May
As for me i can see the G2 motor proving to be a expensive option , l bet i blow it in testing

nick turner

Back to top Go down

Post  boultspeed Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 pm

the easy answer would be to add a 3rd class for brushless wide cars , the majority of cars I looked at on sunday at Ardent were f109 /103 brushless just impose 17.5 turn limit as in gp1 class
boultspeed
boultspeed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomo Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I think the brca see the wider f109/f103 etc as the begginer class as they are easier to drive and handle the power easier than the narrow hpi and f104 hence their choice to give a silvercan option.

While I see the logic in this I would love to use brushless in both classes I have said above what my choice would be in that a 21.5 or 17.5 with no turbo/boost speedos allowed which would still keep the power down and the speedo cost down keeping the gp2 as the entry/easier class for beginers to enter into.

A slight problem with the f109s/f103s been used as a starter class is that the establised f1 racers have had alot of time and experience with these cars and I do not believe that a begginer will have a fair chance against guys who already have and run these cars.

Not having ago at the brca for this just providing a current club and ardent f1 racers point of view forward for consideration.
Tomo
Tomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next