Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP2 Circuitcars chassis

+5
Bretthope
mcjjordan
JimboJames1972
BINDY
Admin
9 posters

:: 1/12th :: Mardave :: V12

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GP2 Circuitcars chassis - Page 2 Empty Re: GP2 Circuitcars chassis

Post  Gazza Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:05 pm

JimboJames1972 wrote:Yes, Jamie, you do. If you order from FibreLite you'll get both the main chassis plate AND the front wishbne plate for around £30 (inc P&P).

Mine is ordered, keeping fingers crossed it will be with me tomorrow / Sat. I can't promise to have it ready for Monday's club meeting but I'll do what I can :-)

Actually, I have another few questions about this chassis - the servo position. Now, I know the servo holes are not drilled so we have to do our own. No worries there. From this though I am assuming we are free to mount the servo on either the left or right hand side of the chassis and as far forward / backwards as we need - to give us the chance to balance the chassis? Yes, obviously, forward and backward position will affect track rod angle and ackerman effect so there will be limits as to what actually works, but am I right in thinking we can put the servo 'wherever' we like?

Yes mate thats the idea

Also, I am assuming that we are free to use whatever make and model of servo we have / want? Ie, the mounting lugs on Futaba / KO / Savox servos are all slightly differently spaced (only 1mm or so, but they are different) so we can drill the holes for our servo posts where we need them? On the same note, are we alowed to use the mini-sized servos as used in the majority of 1/12 circuit cars?

Again yes

A last question. IF we are alowed to use the mini servos, are we also alowed to cut / drill a hole in the chassis to alow clearance of the servo saver? With these little servos, since they are relatively thin the servo saver hangs 'below' them when you try to mount them flat on the chassis. On 1/12 cars there is a hole cut in the chassis for this reason (it is also something Chris W and I discussed including on the first CE kit). Obviously we can add spacers under the servo posts, or mount the servo higher up on the posts themselves (if I use a thin servo I always mount it as low as possible) but I'm guessing we'll get better results if we are alowed to drill the chassis.

Ahhh now this is where the Modifications come into play I would put spacers under to raise the servo other wise its not a standard Mardave chassis

J
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Just Had a call from Chris Wilkinson who is not to happy re this chassis and would like it stopped as its not a Mardave part. . . Neutral

Ok understandable Chris but I asked in my e-mail re the kit with no holes for the Lexan tray. ..
So when it arrived I had to use the Lexan tray which I hate also my servo is a little bigger and the holes are so close that it will pull through and its about done that all ready and this is only a few weeks old my Cobra holders are about on the same thing

I also asked re a chassis with out the holes at Ardent and you said it will cost to much to change . . ok

So what would be better off is a blank chassis with a sticky paper in side so the modeller can drill holes to suit the lexan or cobra battery

OR

as its CNC cut just little marks / indentations on the chassis where the holes would be for the universal battery mounts

and possable the same with the servo mounts or just a line score across the chassis and drill your own holes
Right this then brings rumours that Richard and the Carbon chassis and in an e-mail from Richard and I quote

"Yes that's correct, not sure of the price yet but should be reasonable, would you like putting on the list ?"

So you can see where Paul and others thought hey go for it I guess
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:08 am

affraid well i knew he would not welcome the new chassis but i think at club level a lot of racers will be well happy. I know he will not allow it to run inl his series unless i can find Lord lucan and whacko jacko selling burgers on albert sqaure
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rccircuitcars.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Hang on a moment!

I thought this chassis WOULD be legal for the current series? Go back to my post on pg 1 of this thread - I asked if it would be legal and your reply was,

"... and yes this will be a legal chassis for racing as its same compsite as the ce just with the point of giving you a choice as to where you fitt the servo or battery..."

Mine is on order, paid for and I'm expecting delivery today. In other words, probably too late to cancel and ask for a refund from FibreLite? And now you're saying that I won't be able to use it at the Nationals?

Go figure...

J
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:13 am

Ill be running mine James cheers

I have no choice the screws are pulling through the chassis and as Chris has no blank ones like I asked

there is NO rules . . . . there is some proposed ones but no real BRCA ones

So yes im running my GP2 Chassis at Hereford
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:49 am

Ok guys I’m going to set the record straight this is not geared at anyone. After racing the Mardave for the last year I totally fell in love with the car at first I totally hated the little monster. And would not hear of moving into this class but after spending a few hours with the Mardave Guru Gazza I was smitten. And I have never looked back since racing is tight costs are dirt cheap.
I have waited for the new car to come out sat back and listened to people’s concerns about the new GRP chassis and decided that I would produce the new GP2 chassis eliminating any of the problems that some drivers have talked about. Have I done it to make money the answer to that is no I did it because I wanted a chassis but did not want to have any pit falls?
I knew Chris Wilkinson would not be very happy about the new chassis and I don’t think he will allow it to run in the series. But that’s up to him as you can see the chassis is different from the new CE edition it has no rear cut out this from what I understand from the G2 motors get all the track crap up into it also track crap under the rear pod.
It’s so sad when people that try and develop something to make the car even more better but are not allowed to only at the pace of the Mardave owner.
I will carry on producing these chassis that’s for sure I see a bright future for the chassis and by the amount of inquiries for the chassis up and down the country I can see this chassis being used.
It’s not like I have designed a new car just improved on something that still offers sales to TIC racing Kamtec and Mardave as they all sell spares.
However I think it is now time that some of the back garden tinkers should have their say as these are the guys who race them have the idea’s but some to worried to put their ideas into practice for fear of bullying.
Look at the guy who was selling the alloy rear pods on e bay only to be told you cannot will not.
Must have been a good idea as now you can buy the Mardave alloy rear pod yet it was someone elses idea.
With Schumacher’s new circuit car out in 2 months I can see a lot of Mardave drivers migrating to the new car so why try and hold up development of the car now with people’s idea thoughts etc.
I would have thought this was the time to embrace anything that takes this car into 2012 on a high
Maybe some food for thought Chris on that try embracing what people are doing not threats with solicitor’s county courts Lord Lucan and wako jacko legal team.
Before this even went to fruit it was checked to make sure I was breaking any laws of copyright so Chris I don’t want to cross swords with you over this but if I have to then I will.
Just on final notes I know that some carbon fibre ones have been placed on order with ishy does that mean that the rules can change again because you have them Chris.
I have spoken to my son who owns Carbonolics about the chassis would he make them but sadly he is stacked out with orders for real cars to gear down for such small items that take up time.
So Chris my phone is on if you want to talk to me or Gazza I just offered an alternative that gives people the choice a chassis that is not drilled to take one certain servo or one Lexan battery tray I gave the choice for guys to lay the electrics servo and battery just where they wanted to place them without drilling loads more holes
That must make the chassis weak with holes all over the place
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Stay tuned as gazzas new GP2 chassis has arrived so he will im sure give a report back on it cannot wait and its being tested at the circuit on Tuesday roll on tuesday thats all i can say

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also thanks for all the guys who have told me that they like this and to carry on getting them produced
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 am

Paul,
Mine arrived a while ago. I was hoping to get it built up and tested at my club tomorrow.

However... The hole for the rear pod centre pin is not countersunk. Looking at the pics above it seems as if yours is not either?

Is there a reason for this?

J
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 am

yes jimbo they seem to have forgot this one very easy to do tho
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen@fibre-lyte Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:47 am

Not us Smile

If it's the one in the centre of the row of five holes at the back of the chassis then it wasn't labelled to be countersunk on the drawing.

stephen@fibre-lyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:53 am

Ok cheers Steve not a problem easy done
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:17 am

Ok, thanks Paul.

Like you said, easily done. After all, I'll have to do the rest of the holes I drill for the cells and servo so one more wont be much of an issue. Just thought I should ask

J
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen@fibre-lyte Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:25 am

I take it that if anyone else orders one, then that hole should be countersunk?

stephen@fibre-lyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:12 am

First off all its not 2.5mm thick which is what it should be affraid

yes on the centre pin to be countersunk as I just built mine and the very back piece only the two outer holes need be there and sunk the inner two can go really there not needed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:13 am

Im on it Gazza does look nice tho and G10 is 3 times the strenth of the yellow grp mate so result all round
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen@fibre-lyte Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am

Gazza wrote:First off all its not 2.5mm thick which is what it should be affraid

Never was intended to be. The only G10 we stock is 2mm thick which is what was originally specced. 2.5mm is available from the suppliers I believe but a several hundred pound order is required.

stephen@fibre-lyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazza Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:48 am

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote: Never was intended to be.

Well got lost in translation then some where as that is what it shoud have been. . .
I did not notice untill I built it so lets see if its up to it it may be to thin Sad
Gazza
Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Got mine built up and did my first test with it last night.

First of all, hats off to Stephen and Fibre-Lyte. It is beautifully machined and measures up nice and symetrical :-)

Paul, I do have some concerns though about your choice / specification for this material. when you say "three times the strength of the yellow GRP" what do you mean by "strength"? Do you mean stiffness, tensile trength, impact resistance, what? Now I have my chassis fully built up is seems extremely 'floppy' when compared to Chris' origional GRP one and the standard aluminium chassis. With mine fully bult up and balanced to 950g there is even visible 'sag' in the middle of the chassis when it is at rest on the workbench? I've got a bit of lab time booked at lunch time today so I will see if the lads can do a few basic tests for me...

Also, if one of your remits with this design was to stop screws pulling through why specify just a 2.0mm thickness? I've measured the depth of the CSK screw heads and they come out at bang on 2.0mm too - in other words the counter sinking will go all the way through the chassis thickness and leave no 'meat' to stop screws pulling through?

I'm track testing it again this evening so will let you know how it goes. Being such a floppy chassis, I'm guessing it mght be good on open, sweepy tracks with very low grip...?

James
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Cheers Jimbo thanks for the feed back what are you runing cells as this was done for lipo really But sadly Chris Wilkinson has been giving me some greif as the chassis is so near to his chassis and him being him who loves to control i done another chassis called the P2 now this has really got intrest going gone is the silly top plate that really is not needed and the new P2 will be made in 2.5 mm or 3mm GRP some nice sweeping lines on it as well.

So the new P2 will be the only chassis that i will be doing from now on but you can still get the GP2 from Fiber lyte I know Mr Wilkinson thinks he has a victory but just wait till the P2 hits the circuit mate more like a 12th pan car chassis. again thanks for the feed back,
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

So, let me get this straignt - this chassis, the one that has been advertised since only last week, has ALREADY been supersded by a new one? Seems a bit odd that.

As for my cells, yes the chassis was built up with 1s LiPo packs. I also used Cobra battery holders to secure them, exactly the same as I have in Chris' CE chassis. In fact, I used duplicate gear for everything including bumper, servo mounts and body posts.

You have not asnwered my question though - which property of the G10 material is "three times" stronger than the GRP Chris uses in his chassis? Also, please answer how much teting of this GP2 chassis was done before you advertised them last week. Your P2 chassis looks interesting, but will it get a good test before it is offered for sale?

James
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Right Jimbo i will put you in the picture mate I recived a call from Chris Wilkinson on Sunday with threats of legal action over my chassis, Something that this guy is very good at doing no more than a verbal bully also he seems to think that if he has a part made that they should not make parts for anyone else his way of shutting the door on people.

now im not worried if he wants to get his legal team onto me and welcome any action so as you can see the you can still obtain the GP2 from Fiber Lyte just the cost is something im not happy with £30.50 bit harsh price really but thats another story.

the P2 was also designed near the same time as the GP2 but i opted to go with the GP2 after looking and listening to people the top playe is just really a nothing part lowering the chassis this can be done on a flat chassis with riser and lower carbon spacers.

So Mr Wilkinson is having work done at the same place as our chassis was being done i dont want anything to do with him but im not worried by him so i now have a new company based in Manchester that will cut the P2 chassis for me and not costing to much. I have a meeting with the company owner who seems quite up beat about this stuff only to find his son also does rc cars as well,
The P2 is nothing like Mr Wilkinson CE edition but a complete new concept with no copy of anything from the orginal chassis Now also i have been told by him im not allowed to use the word Mardave so what i will say is the P2 uses the cosmetics of v12. and part are ready avalible to bolt on to this car from Tic Racing also Kamtec.

Im suprised you say it feels floopy as Gazza has built the GP2 and anyone who knows gazza will tell you he pick bone out of bones so again if you like the GP2 fiber Lyte if you want the P2 then they are direct from me no vat no middle man prices just what they cost to be made. there will also be a carbon edition of the P2 later in December as well hope i have answered your questions but at the moment im playing my cards close to my chest.
And finaly yes the P2 will be well tested before its offered for sale Jimbo 5 are going to be done first and i have 4 people in mind to test the p2 so you maybe number 5 mate.
Im not doing this as a business just a desire to move the car along and give people the options as to waht the run at CLUB LEVEL
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimboJames1972 Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for that, Paul.

However, what property of the G10 material are you claiming is "three times" stronger than the yellow GRP?

J
JimboJames1972
JimboJames1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:45 pm

G10 is a much durable harder grp google it mate save me a lot of time lol
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaykelvik Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Intresting Read this thread ,but surely wouldnt you of wanted to check with the owner of mardave if you wanted to make a new chassis , plz dont mistake this post as me nagging or picking a fight it isnt, however if you claim the chassis is a mardave chassis and the owner of mardave says no surely advertise it as a super dave chassis ? wouldnt this make a little more sense and save arguementd between you and the mardave owner?

But i see that you are trying to progress the sport wich i love Smile Mardavesa For life Smile so good job.

Jay

(edit) spelling grammer sucked sorry
Jaykelvik
Jaykelvik

http://www.westsuffolkmcc.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Jay if you check back in the all the post its never ever been claimed as a Mardave just a GP2 chassis thanks for you great comments mate and i take on board what you are saying mate. So as to not cause stone throwing with Mr mardave i have done the P2 and i hope this gives the car some style some options again this will be only for club use Jay. because this chassis will never be allowed to race in his series at present mate unless hell freezes over and Lord Lucan ride the 2.15 at kempton park clown

so many guys have brilliant idea's back garden shed tinklers as well again we need to embrace as much as possible off these guys Maybe when the class gets opened up with Schumackers car coming on the circuit very soon that this chassis will prove its self until such times club racing will be fine mate!!!! cheers cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next